Tuesday, June 21, 2005

After the War

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I set out from the Abbey and I have been walking for some hours. Finally I reached this stream (photograph courtesy of Lyndia Radice) Gregarious birds chatter, dancing amid the trees and I see patterns amid the rippling water as it gurgles over the stones. There are stories here, just waiting to be named and told.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After The War

If I could write
I would write about
when the war ended
I would record how
we threw our ration cards
into the air
and danced into the night
hugging one another

I would marvel
using superlatives
to describe
Little things like
Spring lambs gambolling in the fields
The song of
crystalline Castalian waters
gurgling over ancient stones

I'd tell of
pulling out sheer silk stockings
and my golden organza ball gown
to wear at the celebratory ball
of waltzing
with my one true love
to the sounds of
Horrie Dargie's Rag Time Band

Maybe
After the war
I will write.

4 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is stunning. The metaphor is so apt - carried so well all the way to the bitter-sweet last stanza.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

After my " Wars " I count the scars and I say to myself, " I made it, I'll be darned I made it"...which is my version of tossing those ration cards in the air and dancing till I drop.

But I don't know, I'm a Ramones and Glen Miller gal myself.

Loved the poem. I really did.

Anita Marie

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

And . . . On Armistice Day, I will celebrate with you ~ with such revelries that the stars will shatter.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Reminds me of my desire to make a scar coat Anita Marie. I will be darned! I too am still standing after so many years. Glen Millar and the Ramones are good, I agree. I just like the sound of Horrie Dargie's name for some strange reason. It evoked a time when my parents were young and I danced with my father, who adored me.

And Winnie, on Armistice Day we will celebrate and our revelries will shatter the stars and everyone on Mars will stop and look and wonder what is happening down there on earth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home