Thursday, February 17, 2005

Lost in the Abbey

Oh how easy it is to be lost, but I found my way back to my cell. I think my map must not be quite complete, or maybe the abbey is a little more complex than I thought it was at first.
So now I can sigh deeply, light a candle, and consider what I've learned from the teachers in the scriptorium.

1. Don't hold on to the pen so tightly. This is important in illuminating manuscripts, in copying out text, but it is very important in life. Hold things gently and if things want to slip away, let them.

2. Look with attention to details. Look in the rafters, you may see angels there. Look at the tiniest details. They will fill your heart with wonder. This is really good when you get lost and make a "wrong" turn. Don't panic, just start paying attention. Where ever you are, you aren't lost to you.

3. Give yourself time to play with the materials. Playing will feed your soul. If you have to slip into the scriptorium during the night in order to do this, do it! Some days you will be able to remind yourself that you give yourself time, that you can play and you can feed your soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home