Friday, March 04, 2005

High Tea on the Lawns

.

When Winnie caught me on her digital and made merry with her wacom I was on my way up from the kitchen to tell you that I had made some Savoury Finger Sandwiches to have with tea on the Abbey Lawns. We cannot have everyone thinking that the Abbess cannot produce culinary triumphs of her own.

The fillings are
Smoked Trout Dill and Cucumber
1 whole smoked trout, skin and bones removed
1 lebanese cucumber finely chopped
1 tablespoon roughly chopped dill
half a very small red onion, thinly shaved
cream cheese


Lemon Thyme, Ricotta and Ham
4 large thin slices of leg ham off the bone
lemon tyme leaves
ricotta cheese

Chicken and Cream
1 small barbecue chicken, meat removed and finely chopped
mustard
whole egg mayonnaise

Tea is not a luxury item that is kept under lock and key. In the old abbey it was not a common commodity and the beverage was revered and treated with respect. Given the cost of acquiring it this is not particularly surprising. The habit of afternoon tea dates back to when dinner moved to an evening timeslot. In the old days tea making was a ceremony carried out by the Abbess but we are not sticklers on ceremony here so I won't turn a hair if Ebony or Sharon rush in and out of the kitchen with pots of freshly brewed tea.

Enjoy the sandwiches and I have jelly cakes to finish up with. They are cup cakes dredged in jelly and coconut and melt in your mouth. I have made plenty so that when tea is over you will all go back to your rooms and create more beautiful things.

The Abbess

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my! You'll have to join me in the kitchen more often Abess! Sounds scrumptious! I'm taking the day off and working on a Charcoal landscape. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home