Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Strange Music and Whispering Shells

I don't believe I ever mentioned the music before; I don't know if any one else hears it, at least not in the same way I do. It was one of the things I knew I'd miss most when I came to the Abbey. I listen to music all the time at home, mostly classical and opera, but hymns too, and stuff from the 50's and 60's, and ragtime, I really love ragtime.

The first time I noticed it was the day Oreo and I found the door leading down to the sea. That night I kept imagining I heard Debussey's La Mer, only I wasn't imagining it. It wasn't piped in and it wasn't a short refrain running through my head, it was the whole piece with full orchestra and it was beautiful. Later, after I got angry and ventured down the steps and into the cave, the sound of waves crashing beneath my window and the music of Fingal's Cave by Mendelsohn haunted my dreams all night long reminding me of how my day had gone and the lessons I'd learned.

Although I didn't bring anything tangible back from that frightening excursion, the seashell Tookie gifted me with is still tucked into the niche in the window ledge. I can hear the sea, of course, when I hold it to my ear, but sometimes I think I hear a woman's voice whispering. I've tried telling myself it's my imagination. I really don't want to go down those dark, slippery steps again.

I can't ignore it any longer. The Abbey's a quiet and serene place. We're not bothered by a lot of distractions here, but some news does leak in. I found out today that Winnie's started a section called Fantasy Cove. That has to be it! The doorway right down my hallway leads directly down to Fantasy Cove! My instincts told me there was something otherworldly about that cave and beach.

I'm usually glad to leave the thrill seeking to others; I'm more apt to seek serenity of spirit and a means to pursue my faith and art than to go off looking for excitement but, I've been here long enough to know the Abbey does many strange things, and none of them by accident.

The whispers in the shell are louder today and more distinct. Whoever she is, she has a strange and exotic accent. I think she's trying to tell me her name. I know she's saying, "Free me!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home