Thursday, June 23, 2005

Lamp Lighter

I don't know whose task it is to light
the lantern by the door at dusk --
that stumbling travelers might seek haven.

I could be up to the honor, I suppose,
though all of the travails of a sexton
do not appeal (pun) to me. I would rather be
as a hearald of the dawn
and pinch out the feable candle glow
and sing of the rising passion --
either way, there is a lantern
at the abby I am sure ...

consider --

FLICKER

Of things that are beknow,
above belief, beyond entrancement –
are those so imbued by Covenant;
and thus of me and thee.

We are Bearers of Light,
a flickering spark of divine breath –
by choice and vibrant will enhanced;
and thus of we and all.

Our presence is profound,
a reed resonating in harmony –
of tenor and pitch but ours alone;
and thus of EverSong.

Hense we are a lantern,
be entwined of flame and spirit gong –
both to protect and restrain the gifts;
and thus humanity.

Within and in fine tune,
swinging now, anchored by silver thread –
find soul swaying twixt mind and spirit;
and thus eternity.

Magic of this lantern,
projecting Light and reflecting soul –
always in symphony with the Source;
and thus of everything.

Yet life is not simple,
For creation is the goal and trust –
Love born, and midwifed by attention;
and thus of me and thee.


The trick is to hold high
your self-lantern of complexity –
to cast aside the dread shadow fears,
as know to such as we.

While some wisdom flies out,
(for what else can we really share?) --
some other brilliance must sure creep in,
and thus instill learning.

Unshutter your flame,
polish the colored glass of value –
that they only filter the real you;
and thus bring enrichment.

Forth and back, round about,
I flicker silently in everquest –
for two lanterns that do sing as one;
and thus of me and thee.


papa

2 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah! I love the idea of a "Lantern Pincher." My mother has a beautiful antique 'snuffer', sort of a small silver hat on a long silver stick. It was actually once used to put candles out. I loved it when I was a child, but I used to think: “What? They couldn’t blow out a candle?” I love the part in the movie “Practical Magic” where Sandra Bullock blows on the candle to light it. I’m quite sure I could do that if I just knew a ‘little bit’ more!

Being the Lantern Lighter is a noble calling and one that you are right fitted for. It entails, I am sure, a lot more than merely attending to the lantern at the gate - it is a calling full of mystery and metaphor as well as many kinds of illumination. To you we will come seeking light . . . will you keep the ever-burning seed in an Auroch horn?

Meanwhile, up in the Alchemists Lair there is always a candle burning in the window. I heard and understood when John Fogerty first said it . . . as long as there are any traveling on the Road to Findout, there will be a candle burning, for I know they will be all right, as long as they can see the light.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I hereby declare thee, Faucon of Sakin'el, 'Hearald of the Dawn'. You will be known as the Lantern Lighter and I will set up a page for you within the Abbey forthwith.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home