Saturday, July 09, 2005

I Take My Friends A-Viking

You will walk in my eyes, down the paths of my fathers
I will hear the Sagas calling from my blood
In your voice

From the air, I looked down on a cloudless, greening wonder
A bluewhite miracle of snow and bright vernal ripening
In the span of minutes, like a sky goddess, I passed over Iceland
The crystal clear mountains and swift, sudden azure lakes,
The lengths of pearl and emerald entwining,
Were marked from end to end
With your footprints

Now I will walk ancient paths with deep new power
Power found past pain in a river of prayers
Strength of Stone and Shell
Steadfast shared compassion
This gift my friends have given
Will send me strong up every road

And together we will savor the soaring shores of my bloodline’s birth
We’ll sail down my ancestors salty seas
I will bring you all to a full moon blooming
O’er the Land of the Midnight Sun

Then I will come home and
Sing you
A Skaldic song

And you will tell me
What I’ve seen

©Edwina Peterson Cross

(With Love for Fran Whose Footsteps Cover Iceland
~ For Vi & Maya Who Gifted Me the Strength of Shell and Stone
~ For All Who Prayed Me Through Surgery and Down the Road Beyond
~ For Heather, Who Knows)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home