Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Journey Began - Audrey Larkin

I'm so excited to be coming my head it spinning making it nearly impossible for me to figure out what I need to bring. Being one of the worlds worst packers (trust me this is da truth). Just came back
from a cruise of which the day I left I swear to you I was still throwing things into my suitcase when the car service pulled up. Lord I need to get over my fear of packing.

So, taking a deep breathe, with a bottle of water by my side I'll pick a bag to bring. (Hey, is there a list I could follow of what clothing and how much of each item?) Sorry about this, I did say I
had a tough time packing. Perhaps it's more of a phobia... I'm begining to wonder. I'm starting to sweat as times awaisting and everyone seems to have gone on ahead. I'll grab this duffle bag on
wheels that I have. In it I'll throw in a light purple and white back pack I brought for my last trip. I'll bring a pair of walking sneakers and socks that keep your feet cool and dry. A few pairs of
shorts and pants along with some tops and a light jacket should do
it as well.

I hope I'm not getting carried away here. Enchanter Heather is bringing an empty suite case and others are traveling light as well. In go some toiletries, tissues, a flashlignt with extra batteries, a
book to read, should there be time for that, two journals with a couple of my favorite pens and a couple of throw away cameras. Got to take some pictures, it is allowed now, isn't it? Oh, I need to
make sure I bring my cochlear implant battery charger and the adapter that fits the plugs that are in Italy. They are different than here in New York. For those of you who've never heard of a
cochlear implant. It is like a hearing aid, only better. It requires surgery and is very, very helpful. I can explain and show you, if you are interested and/or don't know, at a later time. Better throw in some suntan lotion as well and some kind of bug off spray...

I think I'm ready to go now. I hope so. if I've forgotten anything important, I'll either make due without it or if really necessary, I'll buy it over there.

.......................................................

Standing outside I admire the doorway I've claimed, and peek inside. Due to the brightness outside of the door, it is quite dark in comparison. Reaching into my bag I grab my trusty flashlight and ready it for the journey I'm about to begin. Turning around for one last look at the greenery and flowers I've recently trudged through, I start to feel a bit anxious and feel butterflies fluttering around in my midsection. I hate that feeling and decide to get to it and enter the cave.

Shining my light around in front of me, I am able to see that there is something or is it someone in front of me just a few feet away? The butterflies which started to quiet down just a bit, now increase their activity, which I don't appreciate as I'd much prefer calmness right about now. Feeling a soft hand on my shoulder, I nearly jump out of my skin. Looking up I see a hooded figure, completely covered from head to toe in a shiny flowing jet black hooded cape. A feeling of calmness washes over me, ridding me of those annoying butterflies and I begin to relax (at least temporarily.) Smiling I say "hello" to which she nodded "hello," back to me. "You do have a face under that hood now, don't you," I ask? I received no response but did get the impression that a smile surfaced under the hood. Turning away from where I first entered the cave, the figure starts walking deeper into the cave and I follow.

After what seemed like a winding, twisting maze that lasted all of five minutes we arrive at a room. It looks similar to the ones we past on the way. My guide points and says "enjoy your visit" gives me a slight bow and leaves. Looking around I see the room is of a fairly decent size with a bed that looks comfy enough, a dresser next to the bed with a lamp on it, a few interesting pictures and a comfortable cushy chair that appears to me to be an antique.

The most interesting thing I've found is that there is a window. It is a fairly small one that is closed with a curtain on it. The curtain, which is sheer yellow, is closed and I'm not feeling brave enough to open it. I mean, we are in a cave and as far as I know, there are no windows in a cave. At least none that I've ever heard of. The window is above the desk which is on the wall opposite the dresser near the foot of the bed. "That," I think to myself, will have to wait for another time to be checked out. Right now I just want to take a quick shower in the bathroom that is located on the left of the dresser and opposite the bed. That all this fits into a room of this size is amazing. It actually is a very nice, comfortable and rustic alcove that, for the time being, is mine to enjoy.

4 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

There isn't a woman in the world who doesn't know this feeling! Wonderful. (Monika)

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This is just wonderful Audrey. You have a delightfully relaxed way with words and I felt I could see through your eyes. Beautiful!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Who is beneath the hood and what is behind the curtain? I can't wait for you to find out!

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Karen said...

It is so important to feel at home in a creative space. nice work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home