Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Anyone for Spruce Beer?

"Spruce beer has quite a long and (ig)noble history in Canada and the United States from way back to the 1700s. Spruce Beer gets it name from the spruce tips or the spruce shoots used to produce it. These are mixed with hops, yeast, water, molasses in most recipes. There is both an alcoholic and a non alcoholic version (like a root beer or a ginger beer). The recipe for the two seems pretty much the same. Apparently, the difference between the alcoholic and non-alcoholic version is amount of molasses."
courtesy of following direct click link --
This is fascinating -- have been learning lots from history and authors lately,
dipping into Emma by Jane Austen, in which they drink Spruce Beer.
Just when I thought I knew everything (not).....
Would be most keen to hear anyone's personal experience from tasting this lovely
sounding drink. Sounds like Christmas to me.....

3 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger maya said...

I've never tasted spruce beer but would love to sample some of the (non) alcoholic variety...
The food and drink here at the Abbey are delightfully different.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

My son in law makes very tasty beer, and I make ginger beer in the summer. Would love to try this, but must learn to recognise spruce - wouldn't want to use the wrong thing!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Interesting to read all your comments. I've never had spruce beer either, but there is something about the sound of it that makes me want to try it! Let me know if anyone tries it. Apparently you can make it non or alcoholic.

I imagine it would be quite potent Faucon! Young pine really isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home