Thursday, December 22, 2005

No new story

I wasn't going to write anymore Chirstmas stories --
calling it quits after the book, but ..

The church as small, which should be attractive to some. We all like the pageantry and fine voice of huge choirs, and a thousand candles to warm out hearts found in the cathedrals and festive outdoor displays. But some would rather come here, where there is nothing but silence. Oh, there was a Crèche, of course -- straw gathered from the field; hand-carved figurines of mismatched size -- an empty offering bowl beside even more empty candle sticks. As it should be, perhaps. Why should anyone pay for a chance to celebrate the Birth?

Because we pay every day of our lives. That's why. Now I don't care if you relate to the arrival of this brother as a Messiah, or a repeat of Current message throughout time, or nothing of spiritual import at all. But you must admit that this event has had a profound impact on Western culture, and even in protracted misrepresentation has some value. You know, deep within, that we celebrate the wrong event, for the birth is meaningless without the sacrificial death -- of which you may attach no significance -- save that many do and therefore affects your life.


Why do we celebrate any person's birth rather than their accomplishment or effect on this and that? Why would we light a candle in this barren place even though we are penniless? Why would I reach out and touch the cheek of another in a homeless shelter. Why am I standing outside the cathedral in the snow? I praise the glory of the stained glass windows that they keep the awesome music from me! I sing Hosannas that the person held close against my chest will not be judged, but is only in need of shared warmth -- which I can give this day. In the jumbled rags the soul is sexless, and it matters not.


I lit a candle in that little church and could not pay. But that glowing candle in my vision will keep us warm this day, and I sing to this child (I think of it so) that I might be warm enough -- just enough, for more is not required. He or she will probable not say anything when they shuffle off in the morning. They would not insult my simple sharing, after all, except by knowledge that they will someday light a candle in a little church. And will not pay.

3 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

There is no ignoring of this moment of birth, high or low, it matters not. What matters is not the cost, nor the lack of it, I agree. It's consciousness. Everyone has the right to the consciousness of rebirth, whoever they may be. Great reading as always.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Interesting reading Lois.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger maya said...

I have an entrance key to a small Catholic Church. At any time of day or night I may enter and sit alone in silent contemplation. I've lit a candle and not paid! Then I've gone off to make coffee for the alcoholics meeting later....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home