Sunday, July 16, 2006

Cracking the Egg

Warm and protected, safe inside, I lack all worry, fear and responsibility. I curl around my very self and sleep a perfect sleep. But not for long. A faint stirring troubles my heart and soul and wakens what has lain dormant-asleep-unborn. For how long?

The time of gestation is done; the moment of birthing is near. It's a dangerous business birthing another; it's terrifying to give birth to oneself. What if it doesn't go well and I'm not fully formed? Suppose I emerge from this sanctuary only to be instantly caged by fate? I resist the urge to stretch, to push against the walls of what has been my haven, but instinct is powerful. I tap tentatively, desperate for an answer of certainty but none comes. I scratch feebly with my nails then claw and kick until I am free.

Surrounded by shards of debris I am higher than my mind could ever have imagined. I perch on the edge of a cliff, in the midst of a snow-capped mountain range, extend my wings, catch a thermal. . . . . . . and soar!

2 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Wonderful Barbara! Just wonderful. I will create a Cosmic Egg section where we can all post at WordPress as well. Can you be a good lass and lead the way?

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Believer said...

Thank you Heather, realized it should go there right after i posted it. I'll move it tonight.

Thanks Fran, glad it brought back pleasant memories. Our families often know the least about us--good for you letting them know their mom has a romantic side to her nature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home