Saturday, February 26, 2005

I sometimes get lost in circles

Good morning or good evening for you. The entire region is covered with snow. I have allways heard old ladies talk about big snows but seldom seen one. Tonight I'll stay home, instead of going to the local bar have my usual night espresso. This may seem strange to you, but as well as being the only way to meet young people in the village, we take espresso at all times, even before going to bed. It also has another advantage: the bar is air conditioning and it is hot inside. Like all the houses in the village, our only has the fire place in the kitchen and some electrical heat. I could not wait to find my way to the cell here in the Abbey, after cleaning the dinner dishes. My father is playing cards with the neighbour and calling the cards by their nicknames: 2 "a duck"; 4 "little chair"; 7 "a scene", and so on. Mother is making a new tablecloth for my "bragal" (goods you carry when you are married), but I already have 4: 2 in embroided linen and 2 in crochet. This one is special, red, with christmas motives. I wonder if I'll haver put any of those in a table... for a husband. Grandma is sewing wool, so she makes socks for us, with five needles. They are watching the soapopera and comment every scene and character. I wonder if they would care for what I've to say.
Again, I got lost in circles. I was telling about my black stones and how Irene told me the symbolism of sun and moon and stars, and how I came to see a book where the eye goddess was represented in many ways. I now know she still lives among us, in our prayers. She is Santa Luzia, Saint Light, and when we turn on the electric light we say before "Santa Luzia nos alumie" (Saint Lucia lights us) and after "Boa noite nos dê Deus" (God give us a good evening). I wonder if any of this can interest you. I'll try to make it more vivid, when I'm more acquainted to the silence of the Abbey.
May God give you a good night, my sisters that are still asleep.
For those awakening, I tell you "Aí vem o Manuel do dia, que tudo dá e tudo cria" (Here comes Manuel (Emanuel = Christ = Sun), that gives and creates everything)
Have a good day in your respective jobs.

1 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ana - I like your circles! You are saying some very interesting things as you go around. Lucia is very important to my family. She brings the light in the cold depths of winter. I liked to hear what you had to say about her. I would like very much to see your stones. Can you take pictures do you think? ~ Costello

 

Post a Comment

<< Home