Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Welcome New Community Members

I have brought a gift to welcome the new members of the community . . . I went down to the kilns a few days ago and whipped up a batch of terra cotta and fired up a nice vase. Then I spent an afternoon painting it so it looked welcoming. When I had sealed it, I filled it with water and went to the rose garden for flowers. This brings up a question: What hemisphere are we in? I will tell you: Both. Neither. Never ask an Alchemist a question if you want a straight answer. Wherever we are, there are almost always roses. So I bring these and sit them here on the table of the cloister to welcome those who have just come anew to our Abby . . . Patricia, whose name I have seen, but whose voice I have just heard for the first time. Bobbi, who I am surprised I didn’t meet down by the kilns. Traveller, are you staying long? Fran, my dear, Jane, Lani, Ana das Neves: I leave this welcome for you. Welcome to our Community.

Community.

1) * noun: (ecology) a group of interdependent organisms inhabiting the same region and interacting with each other
2) * noun: a group of people living in a particular local area
3) * noun: a group of people having ethnic or cultural or religious characteristics in common
4) * noun: a group of nations having common interests
5) * noun: common ownership
6) * noun: agreement as to goals
7) * noun: the body of people in a learned occupation
8) * noun: a district where people live; occupied primarily by private residences
9) * adjective: belonging to and maintained by and for the local community

Well, here we are! Which definition fits do you think? I seems to me, by the way we are already working independently the first definition is out - yes, inhabiting the same region, but not interdependent nor necessarily interacting. Except by chance.

Number two seems most basic and most likely. We are a group of people living in a local area. We are more than that though, for we are all here for a purpose.

Three? I think not. I rather think that our religious and cultural divergences would be fairly staggering if we decided to lay them out. Most beautifully we needn’t lay them out, but can carry on with our own agenda with the respect of those around us.
I hear what you are saying Jane about pride. I happen to disagree for I sing the songs of Walt Whitman and Clarissa Pinkola Estes and I would be nurturing and celebrating myself and singing myself as well as singing your praises around the rafters, perhaps too loudly, but I respect your thoughts and what you are doing here and I will be silent. I thank Barbara for her comments on my poem titled “A Druid Walks in Zion” I know our paths are not the same, thus her thoughtful response means even more. No, number three doesn’t fit and it seems one of the nicest things about the place.

Well, we are not nations, but I suspect we have common ownership. I mean, I certainly had the right to go down and invent myself a kiln to make a pot with. I even invented the skill to make the pot as well, that was the most fun! So I’m going to say, yes to number five. I think we have common ownership over our own imaginations. There wasn’t an Alchemists Lair here before I got here. Whatever is going on down in the catacombs and over in the cemetery, I think we all know perfectly well Anita Marie is causing it. Yes to number five.

Six. No. Our goals are our own. That is a fascinating idea in and of itself. Many goal oriented orbits happening within a greater orbit that is merely containing them? What about that Lady in Blue? What is she up to? Probably nothing. Are you kidding? Never ask an Alchemist a question if you want a straight answer.

I’m going to say yes to seven. I’ve made an executive decision that being in an Abby constitutes a learned occupation, even though we each have different callings here. What are we though? I don’t think I want to be a Monk. No. Not fond of Nun as a designation either. Abbette. Abbaleena. Abartist. Abbestudioso. If you live in a Nunnery you are a Nun. If you live in a monastery does that make you a Mona? If you live in a Convent are you a Con? If we wanted to be monks Heather could be a Archimandrite! That’s a great word, but I don’t think its worth being a Monk over. We may have to take a poll. Think about it and have a good day neighbor.

Yes to eight because we live in our cells. (We could be Cellulars!)

The last one is an adjective. Anyone up for being an adjective tonight? You know, it’s sort of like a Baskin-Robbins run or going skinny dipping or something. We’ll just all meet down by the herb garden and . . . yeah. You know all about being a noun. Ever thought about being an adjective? Bring your flashlight (or your torch, if you come from the ‘other side’) wear sturdy boots.
Trust me, I’ve been called a "walking thesaurus.” Are there other thesauri among you? Hummmm? dicionário de sinónimos . . . come on down! . . .

Costello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home