Sunday, March 06, 2005

WELCOME FRAN!

Find me standing at the door of the Abby in full regalia, waiting. This is the full regalia, not of an Alchemist or any of the other things I am on the side, but the full regalia of my primary calling: a Poet. This regalia consists of an empty notebook and a pen. That’s it, because that’s all it takes. It may seem simple, but still, it is sacred regalia. I stand here with more power than any single warrior bedecked with a horde of weapons.

“The pen is mightier than the sword.”
It is a deep, real truth.


I stand here to welcome an Elder of my order to the Abby, a mentor from whom I have learned much. I wait. Then I wait. Then I notice that there is a poem on the Blog. Well, there’s Fran for you! She came in the back door, probably got herself all established and has already written a poem and I didn’t even know she was here! So much for my ceremony and quasi embarrassing Welcome Song. Ah well! I shall say it anyway.


WELCOME FRAN!

Here is a bit of Fran’s wisdom for everyone else.



“Ripening”


OR

Why It is Not Advisable to Lend
Your Philosopher's Stone
To a Poet



We want to touch the world
And see it turn to gold
For our hands have known
A sublime and secret alchemy
We have raked our fingers across the sky
And left gold dust in the clouds
We have cupped our own faces in our palms
Until our skin ran rich and molten

But then, there are days of prosaic silence
When we reach for a leaf
And it stays blank and green
Unchanged, ungilded by our touch
A hidden hollowness then fills the throat
Has the music stopped?
Has the dance gone still?
Has the gold dust turned to rust?
A whisper of barren fear,
A rime of frozen lace
Frosts the heart

Into this silence
A Wise One speaks
An Elder of our Art

Her words are short, succinct,
Yet resplendent, full
In the way of a true poet, her
Concept is
Concise
Complete

“Wait”
She tells us
Though the word is not spoken
“Ripen”
She says and
The message is clear

The fruit hangs on the boughs above
Blushing a burnished, yellowgreen
Sleepy, young, unripe, unseasoned
I reach up, and the sun
Catches gilt in my fingers
A ball of gold fire in the palm of my hand
It wells in filagree past my knuckles
And glows with a gilded radiance right through my skin
I close my hand
And bring in down

In my palm lies a single leaf
Of green
Sweet, verdant green
Like the fresh cut dream of an endless Spring
It is thin and fragile and slightly curled
A deep lush emerald, veined with touches of clover
I hold it against my lips: it feels of velvet and smells
Of early morning, when the birds throats are open and
The dew is cool on the fields
I look up and catch my breath
At the vast canopy of jade swaying over my head
The sun has broken through the branches
And the glade is flooded with light

But my eyes
Have gone as
Green
As glass
And I have
Forgotten
Gold

(For Fran)

© Edwina Peterson Cross

2 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger Fran said...

I am overwhelmed--and overjoyed to be back within this sacred place and welcomed, almost unaware that I had sneaked into the entrance for this entrance is covered with green leaves and the delicate touch of color. Thank you for all that you are and all that you have been for me these precious years. Fran

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Beautiful.

"The first green of summer is gold--her hardest hue to hold." (R.Frost)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home