Thursday, April 28, 2005

Holding On

Oaks are such a sturdy rugged tree. Some of them hold their leaves into the winters. They are never in a hurry to jump into spring, they clasp their buds tight and wait patiently until the days are sure to be warm before they gallop out to play. In this way they have always seemed old and mature to me, able to keep their silence. Not running off with every little notion of spring, but waiting for the real thing. Mature, dignified, that is how Oaks always seemed to me.

I have always noted with interest a large old oak that I pass by on 22.
This tree appears by its size and it’s gnarled bark to be quite old. Some times an old oak tree will be left standing in a field and it is so neat when they do because they get so big and present such an awesome presence. This certain Oak Tree has something else about it, which makes it noteworthy, and that is the fact that it has a serious lean.


No matter from which direction you look at it, it cannot be missed the tree is topping over.

When my daughter and I drove by it for the first time after the rains this spring we exclaimed how much more bent over it seemed to be then ever. Although we were on a destination we slowed down and looked hard for signs of new growth on the tree and we were happy when we saw, Yes! little green-yellow leaves unfurling all over the huge tree.

I got out to visit with the tree a bit and I was greeted with a wave,


It seemed to me that in it's own silent way the tree had so much to say.


I walked up to the tree and I looked up into it's hollow and I took this picture.
Do you see the spirits and the faces that I see there?


6 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Oh Trendle! What a grand, gnarly old tree. I would just love to pack up my basket with food and freshly brewed coffee and sit writing, leaned against her trunk. And all those wonderful spots to leave letters for the spirits who live within. Brilliant!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This tree is a great and beautiful dancer. That 'lean' is a frozen sway, and see how she balances it with her arms! The photo shot inside the tree is quite incredible. It could be a cave of wonders or vast monumental canyons - inner-space, outer-space - all depending on perspective.

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Fran said...

Wonderful photos of a grand old citizen of earth

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Trendle Ellwood said...

Fran I sure love the way you said that, “ A grand old citizen of earth,”

Winnie, I like that concept, “This tree is a great and beautiful dancer. That 'lean' is a frozen sway,”
Winnie you have forever changed how I will look upon this tree! I will never fear for
her falling again! She is dancing! Well mercy why didn’t I realize this! Thank God for giving us friends who make us see the truth! Of course she is dancing. Can I quote you on that over on my other blog too?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Believer said...

Every time I call my cousin in Florida I urge him to get a computer. These pictures of the oak and your comments would surely do it. Oh, how I wish he could see it and join the tree lovers here at Soul Food. You made my day, Trendle!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Quote away my dear! You know, she may fall some day; if she does it will be part of the dance. A good Choreographer uses all levels - in the air and on the ground. If she falls, it will be with grace and dignity; her wood will return to the earth and the great, magnanimous cosmic dance will go on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home