Monday, April 25, 2005

Thanks be to all things green!

I am beside myself with happiness to finally be inside the walls of the Abbey proper! I have been on the outside for some time and did not know how to find my way in; thanks to the Abbess I am here and can sleep in peace tonight. In the morning I must write an article for my local library (the local paper has graciously let me have space weekly to promote the library, they like 500+ words), and I want to write on the literacy issue we face in our county (32% of people age 18 and up read at the 5th grade level, and the figures for last year say that 40% of the Co does not have a HS diploma) so how does the library board think I will drum up business for the library with those figures facing us. There is even a member on the Co council that made the statement (as if he were proud of the fact!), he's never set foot in the library. How incredibly sad is that!

I will not tarry in the great hall tonight, I just want everyone to know I arrived and hope to catch glimpses now and then of sisters passing to and fro in creativity. I am tired, for in the real world I work part time watching an elderly lady (87), who is in middle stage Alzheimers, I'm sure, and she up and insisted she had to go to the grocery this AM; I tried to have her let me drive, and her family hasn't had the nerve to take her car away (YET!), I have a set of keys to everything here, but she was very upset at the suggestion. We plopped into the car and she sat in the drive trying to remember the way to the store (a left out of her drive, then a left at the corner of her street and straight 3 blocks). Well, she was determined to go left, then RIGHT, I finally had to yell at her at the second turn to make her take a left. (I do not like yelling at anyone for any reason, let alone old people, and by the time this exercise was over I had a splitting headache!) The reason it was imparative to make the correct turn was, she lives in the suburbs of Atlanta, GA, and there must be 7 million people here and the right she was determined to take had 5 access points to as many arteries of the innerstate which have posted speeds of 70 mph and most people drive 85-90 mph. I had my cell on ready incase I nneded to call a policeman.

I'll stop for now because I tried to check this post and lost part of it somehow; I think I'm too tired to write anymore tonight. Good eve and green blessing s to all.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome Wyllo! What a day you have had in the "World"! It is good that you are here now. Rest and sleep, knowing that outside of the Abby things are, indeed, turning greener and greener. In the Abby morning you will be able to go out to the gardens and into the grove where you can feel the sweet, verdant green coming up through the bottoms of your feet and making you strong. Let the "World" wash away tonight. Listen to the Abby bells and sleep.

COSTELLO, the Alchemist

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Believer said...

It's good to have you here, Wyllo. I've enjoyed your e-mails and I'm glad you found your way inside the walls of the Abbey. You'll find this a place of joy, rest, and freindship along with a bit of strangeness from time to time.

Blessings to you for caring for the lady with Alzheimers and keeping her safe.

Prayers and blessings to you both,
Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home