Saturday, May 21, 2005

Quarantining Fear

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Whenever I walk in a London street,
I'm ever so careful to watch my feet;
And I keep in the squares,
And the masses of bears,
Who wait at the corners all ready to eat
The sillies who tread on the lines of the street
Go back to their lairs,
And I say to them, "Bears,
Just look how I'm walking in all the squares!"

And the little bears growl to each other, "He's mine,
As soon as he's silly and steps on a line."
And some of the bigger bears try to pretend
That they came round the corner to look for a friend;
And they try to pretend that nobody cares
Whether you walk on the lines or squares.
But only the sillies believe their talk;
It's ever so portant how you walk.
And it's ever so jolly to call out, "Bears,
Just watch me walking in all the squares!"
A.A. Milne

Everyone who has read A.A. Milne knows to watch their feet, to be ever so careful not to walk on the lines. Milne’s story of the masses of bears waiting to eat the sillies who tread on the lines of the street filled me with fear and trepidation and I clung tightly to my parents arms as we walked across the jetty at the beach for fear of falling through the cracks.

As an adult I have developed a sophisticated adamantine security system that includes motion detectors, sensors and burglar alarms’ Doors to my inner self are locked with the finest locking systems and the keys do not have serrated edges, like normal keys have. Instead they are pocked with unique patterns of depressions and cannot readily be duplicated. No one has a key to this inner sanctum that is locked at all times.

Why this stern isolation? Isolating feelings has been a mechanism I have developed over time to ensure that no one, least of all myself, has to confront the marauding bears that growl to each other and say ‘she’s mine.’ I have believed that the contents of the inner laboratory are so corrosive that to step inside would be like opening Pandora’s box and that I would not slam the lid in time to prevent hope from escaping.

Recently, upon viewing an exhibition of the grotesque I felt an overwhelming desire to gaze in the face of my fears and, in doing so, thaw them. Of recent days I have yearned to enter the locked laboratory, to look directly at the grim manifestations that I have feared and in so doing remove any terror that lingers in my heart. Truth, I feel, wants to be discovered.


to be continued

3 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Oh, Heather, I haven't read anything of Milne's for ages. Thanks for reminding me.

As for that inner self, I think many of us tend to keep it locked inside. I know I do. It is so well imprisoned that even I am terified of visiting in those dark shadows and meeting the truth of myself. How many of us, I wonder, wear masks to hide ourselves and our true nature? For many, like myself, I was taught as a child to keep all emotion hidden ... to present the right face to others. Sometimes I think it would be a hoot and a freeing exoerience to display myself for who I am.

Vi

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Dear Vi
Most people I know keep their fears imprisoned. Indeed it seems that the whole of society has had parents who have taught them to stoically hide emotions. As a consequence we are all easy targets for people who want to instill fear into our hearts in order to manipulate us.

It seems to me that the only news we see is designed to play on ill-founded fears or treat us as imbeciles who do not have a care in the world -who are only interested in vacuous trivialities.

I wonder how things would change if we faced our fears by putting our hands in the loam of our shadowlands? Would we pull out long hidden diamonds? Would we discover truths that we each need to be aware of, truths such as the fact that facing a fear does not make the situation worse. Rather it can lead to imaginative solutions.

Heather

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Hi Heather,

I'm glad to see our Musician Friend has made it to the Abbey.

And I think it was the perfect piece to show fear at work. Look at our Musician Friend...does it care what it's brought ( fear ) what it's spreading ( panic ). No, that's how impersonal it is.

Time to set aside the masks and be what we are...and while we're feeling so brave, drag those monsters from those dark corners and from under the bed, kick them in their backsides and send them on their way...I mean how ungrateful they should torture us so. We made them what they are after all.

Anita Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home