Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Caught In Paint

My daughter-in-love Laura gave me an incredible present for Mother’s Day. It is a framed, signed print by the artist Rita Blitt from an amazing artistic session that was captured in the short film “Caught in Paint.”
http://www.ritablitt.com/books_media/film_videos.shtml
This is a six minute video featuring Blitt painting on four by eight foot transparent surfaces while members of the David Parsons Dance Company are seen in mid-air, behind the transparent surface, imitating the dancing lines of Blitt's paint strokes. Actually, during the session, the creative impetus goes both ways. Part of the time Blitt paints and the dancers reproduce the lines, part of the time the dancers dance and Rita Blitt paints what she sees through the transparency. The photographer on the project was Lois Greenfield, and the collaboration of paint, dance and photography is really something fantastic. My Laura works for the Ashland Film Festival, which showcased “Caught in Paint.” She met Rita Blitt, told her that I had been ill and how much I would love her work, then asked where she could buy a print for me for Mother’s Day. Rita Blitt gave her the signed print, which she then had framed for me.

I have always loved collaborations between the arts. I taught dance using poetry, literature, art and music and taught poetry using dance, painting and music as well. The synergy on this particular project was really fascinating. I told Laura that now we just need to get ourselves some really big plexiglass and try it out ourselves!

Rita Blitt’s art is all interesting.
http://www.ritablitt.com/homepage.cfm
I found the sculpture that she does from her own single line drawings especially intriguing.

3 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Believer said...

Wow, what a present! That's really amazing! I just sneaked into Soul Food as I came to work and I'm officially on duty now, gotta go. I'll check out the site tonight.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Trendle Ellwood said...

Your Daughter in Love! That is so cool! I have never heard that expression before. Some day I will have Sons in Love, wow, what a cool idea.

Ever loving Winnie
Tren

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Ooh, am I envious or what? What a perfectly wonderful gift for a perfectly wonderful lady. Congratulations to your Daughter in Love for finding such a gift.

Love and hugs,
Vi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home