Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Highway Woman Comes Riding

The Highway Woman

The wind was a torrent of darkness upon the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
The road was a ribbon of moonlight looping the purple moor,
And the highway rider came riding
Riding riding
The highway rider comes riding
Up to the Abbey Door.

She'd a black cape flying, and a bunch of red hair swaying;
She'd a coat of the black crushed velvet, and breeches of fine doe-skin.
They fitted with never a wrinkle; her boots were up to her thigh!
And she rode with a jeweled twinkle
Her rapier hilt a-twinkle
Her pistol butts a-twinkle, under the jeweled sky.

Over the cobbles she clattered and clashed in the dark abbey-yard,
She tapped with her whip on the shutters, but all was locked and barred,
She whistled a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there?

(Apologies to Alfred Noyles)

The rider comes bearing news that a party of travellers are coming, seeking refuge and a safe haven during their long journey from the Grotto della Sibilla, in the Umbrian Mountains in Italy. The Grotto was first mentioned in medieval, not classical legends and the Sibyl pronounced her oracles there for hundreds of years. Recently a group inhabited this long abandoned cave and now they are coming on a road trip to the Abbey, riding overland.

Dust the corners, clean the chandeliers, bring out the silver, make the spare beds, stoke the kitchen fires, hoe the garden, light the lanterns in readiness to welcome our guests.

The Abbess

10 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

MY GOD! This is my ultimate favourite poem by Alfred! Also my favourite Loreena McKennitt song! No need for apologies, Alfred would be singing your praises. I adore the adaptation - let the halls sing with all the voices of the Abbey!

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Does Mckennit really sing this song? Which album? I have The Visit and To Drive The Cold Winter Away. The Lady of Shalott is my favourite on The Visit but To Drive the Cold Winter away is simply magnificent.

May the halls sing with voices Monika. I know you will be running out to greet our guests when they finally ride in some time within the next few days.

They will have stories to tell in our banquet hall so let the preperations begin.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Sure, sure! Get "The Book of Secrets" and there is a sumptuous ten minute version that is divinely breathtaking. I love Lady of Shalott and Drive the Cold Winter away...adore them. Mask and the Mirror - A Winter Garden - Parallel Dreams - all worth getting. Elemental is great too - She moves through the Fair is on that one, but I haven't got it. A rich banquet indeed! Welcome, welcome...

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

I think, Heather, that you, like me, have a longing for times past... for the times when one had time to think. Perhaps the olden days weren't as good as they sound from this time and this place, but I would be beside myself with joy to see your rider coming down the street. Of course it would be an unpaved road, a lane really, where the horses hooves touched silently on the earth and the only sound to be heard would be the animal's breathing and the clinking of the rider's armor.

Vi

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Karen said...

As I ride through the wood I ponder my disguise for the masked ball...male, female, animal, wraith? Shall I expose my true nature, if indeed I know it, by my costume, or preserve the mystery? Of course, those who meet me in the Abbey will not know the difference. Truth or facade? Reality or chimera? Who will greet them in my place at the banquet? My costume pieces ride close by my hip in a leather satchel, Katy feels her lupine nature calling as we race along the path, and my mind scintillates with the thoughts of my upcoming performance at the cotillion.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Saddle up.
The night clouds race across the sky
A high wind blows from the North
My cloak flaps like wings
I know this horse.
I rode him once through hills and valleys
Of imagination, he carried me to
Middle Earth, Moomin Valley and through
The wardrobe door.
He dances with excitement
Nuzzles my shoulder with his soft grey mouth
Are we off again?
Do new adventures wait for us?
Saddle up!
Saddle up!

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

they come riding two by two... closer to the Abbey.

I do get comfort from memories of times past. My great grandmother rode on horseback to women's homes to deliver their babies. Now I am delivering in a unique way.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

She must have been a formidable lady - and a relief to a great many women!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

I too am an ardent fan of Loreena McKennitt's music and have 4 of her albums. You might be interested in the music of Blackmore's Night

 
At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home