Sunday, July 24, 2005

Skeleton Woman by Megan Warren

amulet bag Posted by Picasa


I have partaken of the chocolates that the Enchantress so kindly left for me. While I was bathing my guide returned in her mysterious nature, she advised she was delivering a parcel that was left for me. I thanked her, telling her that I would attend to it after my bath. And then she was gone.

I quickly got out of the bath, wrapping myself in the luxurious robe that had been left for me. The parcel, a small box lay on the table next to the chocolate box.It contained the following items: yarn, thread, beads and charms of the sea.

It was then that I noticed the note on the inside of the chocolate wrapper Reclaim a RitualI held each of the items, a spiral bead, a seahorse, fish and turtle.

The yarn became a knitted amulet bag with a spiral bead closure. As I worked I thought of Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Women Who Run with the Wolves) story of The Skeleton Woman.

The Skeleton Woman

Cast out
banished
into the sea
tossing and
turning
washed in
washed out
bones lay
waste.

Fishing
casting out
hooked
reeling in
fright fear
tangled line
pile of bones.

Untangling
piecing together
her form
tear
quenching thirst
taking heart
beating drum
fleshing her
out
building her
up.

Sleep
wounded souls
entwined together
nourishment from
the sea
feeding off
one another.

© Megan Warren 21/7/2005

5 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I love Clarissa so much. But I just loved your blue bag and the exotic things of the sea...beautiful. (Monika)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Clarissa lies pride of place on my night stand - my Bible. Your amulet bag is beautiful Megan and your words poignant. Enchanting!
The Abbess

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

I am so glad you brought these beautiful things and words to the banquet.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful. beautiful megan. i am in denmark at an internet cafe. i am so glad to read your words. with love, winnie who is far away from the world.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I love the idea of ritual objects, amulets, power bundles, etc. You tied all of this together in a precious package.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home