Saturday, November 26, 2005

Meet Branwen


m'lady Em's Service Dog, Branwen
is an inspiration to many people,
and like a child to us -- smarter too
than the neighbor kids.

For her birthday, I wrote a poem
(what else) -- a Sheltie dream
.........................................

O, to be

Oh, to be a knight errant like my master,
and battle dragons for righteousness,
be they of greedy flesh or imagined foe --
but I am too short they say
and a girl too cute by far.

Oh, then let me brave serve as squire at arms
and protect my lady with vigor and charm,
for dangers await for those full awake --
but my bark is more than bite,
and my knees still shake from fright!

Oh, let me be then aspire a troubadour,
and entertain with harp and passion's song,
and soothe my mistress' loneliness --
but my voice range is limited
and fingers less than nimble.

Oh, that I could be a page or simple maid,
and wait on my lady's ev'ry whim and need,
that she can be concerned with mundane things --
but I cannot drive nor cook
and can't reach the upper shelf.

But I'm not saddened by such loss of chance,
for I can be something that others but dream,
to bring love and peace to all who pass my way --
I am the best at what I am,
and can you say that, little man?

I am always on time and never too late,
for like a wizard I am the center of all,
that each can find their heart in return --
for I am a fine mirror
of your spirit my friend.

Oh, would that you could just exist for love,
and extend your unseen soul to giant size,
that all can say with affectionate pride,
"would that I could so serve
with no trace of human pride."


5 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Oh, faucon, she is a beauty, this Branwen of yours. And your poem ... you must read it to her. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she'd understand every word.
We are only now beginning to understand the intelligence of all creatures and especially man's best friend.

Vi

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Yes Vi, we don't even begin to realise.

Faucon this is wonderful...

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Branwen is lovely, Faucon - you call her Lady Em's service dog - is that what we in Australia call a guide dog?
Lois, don't these animals worm their way into your heart? It's thirty years since my Lucky died, and I still have her picture in a frame on the shelf - she was a border collie, much loved, very intelligent and still very much missed.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Oh Lois -- this is a gorgeous story.

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Thank you Faucon for sharing this story with us. Heartwarming and wonderful. Em must be so glad of Branwen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home