Sunday, February 19, 2006

Settling In

Sitting down on the bed, I sighed a weary but happy sigh. My journey had been long, but the end was the beginning and I was happy to have taken such a task. I wondered at the other inhabitants of this Abbey, but still was quite afraid for what they would think of me. I chuckled quietly at my own nervousness.
Putting my things away, I plopped down on the bed and took a breather; I could not have rememebered packing so many things! Looking around my room, I found it to be cosy, with greens and blacks, and a shaggy green rug in front of the fireplace that was across from my bed.
I knew at once I would be comfortable here, and couldn't wait to start exploring the Abbey. It seemed to me that my room was not enough, this Abbey was like a whole new world, just waiting for old and new things to be found.
I heard my belly grumble slightly and again chuckled. I wondered where the kitchen was? But as soon as I thought this a box of chocolates was sitting on the bedside table. I was not sure if they were there before, or whether it was just that I had not noticed them. Shrugging I picked the box of the table and lifted the lid. At once the smell of chocolate washed over me, begging my senses to induldge. And so I did. But I only took one, for though I was hungry, the hunger was not that great and I ingnored the tempation to take more than one. If I did I knew I would not be able to stop myself.
Laying back, the chocolates covered and back on the table, I was content. I looked at what I had; a change of scene, possible new friends, a new place to explore and a place for me to sort out myself. What more could I want? I was away from the Overgrown Kingdom I had been placed in, and thankful for it to.


A box of chocolates
Memory Door

As I stepped through the door of memory,
I was at once shocked by what I see,
It was me as a little girl,
still waiting for the world to unfurl,
Springing up from the bed in delight,
Racing to the Christmas tree to see the sight,
I chuckled and watched as young me turned,
And stood shocked as if she were burned.

I quietly said "hello," and marveled at young me,
There was only innocence, no pain and hurt could I see,
and as I squeaked a small "hi" in return,
I saw how much from young me I could learn,
And as I sat down upon the ground,
she sat next to me without a sound,
I feared at once she was afraid of me,
I said as much but she did not agree.

"I do not fear you," she said, looking in my eyes,
"Now I know why our mother cries."
And as I sat stunned she wrapped her arms around my waist,
And kissed my cheek, in much haste,
I told her then of the future she holds,
I wept for us and held her like I used to hold my dolls,
She could not understand, I fear,
What she would become to all those dear.

I said goodbye and left, closing the door,
And as I did, I felt a tear drop on the floor,
I knew that I could not face,
Another trip into memory would leave me in disgrace,
For the innocence and painlessness I just left behind,
Would forever exsist only in my mind.

Any comments, anyone?


Dark Fool
~Emily

6 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Emily, I look back on my life I wonder too what became of that child I used to be - but now I have children and grandchildren, and I have watched the children grow up and I look at the innocent and beautiful faces of my grandchildren and I feel such a deep ache - why must we journey into adulthood and all the pain it will hold? Why must we watch people creating regrets for themselves and be unable to stop it?
I loved your poem, it was beautiful and touched my heart. I always hope my children and grandchildren will never forget to love that child within themselves - and listen, as well, because all that child wants and needs is happiness.
Thank you for this.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Emily, strangely I had been thinking of this yesterday, now somehow in growing up, which we really are so keen to do, we think we have to lose the child. So many things are lost to us when we do this, hence the need to circling back.

Gail, I often feel the need to "wrap people up in cotton wool" as they say, and I wish there was more scope for the middle way in humanity, than always black and white choices! I enjoyed reading your comments, too.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Hi Emily
I really enjoyed your writing and I can't wait to see more.
Anita Marie

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Very cool joke, Lois;-)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Trendle Ellwood said...

Oh I loved Lois's story about the lady and the Dr. asking her why would she want to live so long. Good reminder, to LIVE LOIS!

Now Emily, your post is divine I think. Sure makes one ponder.
There is something certainly there, trying to reach that child again.

I feel sad sometimes when I think that as a child I was never truly innocent as there was a dark shawdow in my life, from a very young age. But I had nature and I had days at my Grandparents and when I want to conjure up love and peace and innocense I think on these.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

these chocolates can become quite addictive Emily. A good choice. It is one of my favourites

 

Post a Comment

<< Home