Saturday, February 26, 2005

Lunch is served

When Heather insisted that I join the Lemurian Abbey I really did hesitate for a whole host of reasons. She has often talked about the internet and all the people she works with in cyber space but it felt like this was her private world and that I would be intruding. I should have known better. I used to attend some of Heather's writing classes before I moved to the country and they were always fantastic. We sat around her table and wrote and always had brilliant suppers.

I am not sure why it never occurred to me that I would be made so welcome here. Thanks so much Winnie, Ana, Irene and Barbara. I was very encouraged to hear that the smell of my scones drew you down into the kitchen. You can come and help me whip up things any time you like Winnie.

Call me Bonny! Whenever Mum called me Ebony it sounded like I was in trouble and usually I had been sprung doing something that I shouldn't have been doing. I remember once a friend and I convinced a neighbours little girl that cold cream was icecream. Sandra and I hid when we were called that time. We knew that we really better make ourselves scarce. It took us some time to live that little debacle down.

Dad just wandered in from the garden with fresh eggs from the chooks. They have been laying quite well.

So I thought that with a couple of dozen eggs I could whip us up a delicious lunch. What I am going to do is cut some smoked ham off the bone and grate some tasty cheese. I will lay some ham, cheese and chives in the muffin plates and then fill them with a mixture of eggs and a little milk. When they are cooked we will have tiny muffin sized frittatas with Salad. There are plenty of salad vegetables growing near the wild garden and I have some fresh tomatoes that are just delicious. I will add some avocado and capsicum and then pour over a dressing of lemon and oil with black pepper and a touch of mustard. Dad also dug up some new potatoes and I thought I would put a whole lot of them in the pot and dress them with butter and parsley.

Has anyone got any suggestions for dessert? I will make a range of herbal teas and coffee for us but it would be great to have something sweet to finish off on out in the el Fresco garden area of the abbey.

3 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger Okanagan Valley Garden said...

Good evening Bonny we haven't me t yet. My name is Bobbi and I am new here as well.

Your fritatta's sound wonderful as did your scones and I am anxious to try both now. It has been a long winter and I am in a bit of a cooking rut. My poor family. If I don't cook some new dishes for them soon they will fire me! (Oh, if only it were true!)

Great to have you here.

Bobbi

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ebony,

We haven't met, but after reading about your cooking passion, I think we could cook up a storm in the Abbey kitchen together! I have never tried scones; they sound delicious. I love to cook many types of foods that are popular here in Texas....Tex-Mex, Italian, Chinese (in my wok) as well as the down-home comfort foods this state is famous for, like Chicken Fried Steak served with creamy mashed potatoes, cream gravy and buttered hot rolls. YUM!

I'm a bread baker also and love to try new bread recipes. My son and husband love my food, so it's a way for me to express love to them sharing my food.

Maybe I'll stop by the kitchen soon with a plate of Okra and Tomatoes (my grandmother's recipe) and we'll exchange recipes, if you like. :)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Lani Gerity said...

Wow, I was so busy off binding books I missed lunch.
Hope there were some left-overs!
Glad you are here!
Lani

 

Post a Comment

<< Home