Monday, March 14, 2005

For My Friend

.

To My Friend

I know you cannot 'hear' me here
For you are far away
But I've found this place to put my thoughts
So here I'll let them lay
A well played hand of solitaire
One hand clapping in the wood
Here I will speak my words to you
Just as if you understood
As if you could hear me speaking
Dear Teacher, good and kind
With your three names, laid out all in lace
So polished and refined . . .
I've found this place to speak to you
Just as if you could really hear
A place where bright sincerity
Can run dappling, slow and clear
Come then and walk beside me
In the figurative afternoon shade
When all colors into amber-rust
Slide and smooth to fade
We'll walk beside the river
Where geese soar and dip and turn
And the last light of the dying day
Makes the water gild and burn . . .

What should I have done without you?
When nobody else would hear?
When I spoke, your ears established me
In you eyes I did not disappear

What should I have done without you?
Down a cold, dark road I traveled
The walls tipped in and fell
But I did not come unraveled

What should I have done without you?
Who gave me so much bliss on which to build?
An artist who has been heard, been seen, been known and praised
Has only left to be fulfilled . . .

And though I know you cannot hear these words
That I've written to you in rhymes
I think perhaps I'll come back to this place
And speak to you
Sometimes . . .

Winnie Cross wrote this poem for me some months ago and tonight my thoughts are with her as she faces major surgery. Today I will be 'walking with her' in the 'figurative afternoon shade.'

Travel safely Winnie and come back to us soon.
love Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home