Monday, May 02, 2005

Novice to the Abbey

Hello,
Warm and slightly shy greetings to you, the gentle reader and also to all of the members of the Lemurian Abbey.My name is Heather Marsh- definately not to be confused with Heather Blakey, the creater of the Soul Food Cafe, whose shoes would be like boats on my feet. This is my first post to this blog and also my first blog ever!

I came to the Lemurian Abbey by wonderful accident. Heather Blakey came into my shop one day ( I must admit now that I cannot even recall her face) and must have taken a shine to it. My store is called Wunderkammer, which loosely translates as 'wonder chamber'. It is as much museum as retail shop, housing fossils, insects, antique scientific instruments and models. I began Wunderkammer with my friend, Igor, as a way of combining work with my desire to foster curiosity as a way of being, and to nuture my own curiosity for the world with all of its wonders.

Each month I write an article about science and natural history, which I post on my website
Wunderkrammer News
Heather read some of my articles and on the basis of those alone, invited me to join the Abbey. Little did she know that for the past year I have been secretly hatching a plan to follow writing as a vocation and have made good on that plan by writing numerous stories, poems, essays, a picture book for adults, a childrens' picture book and the beginnings of an historical/fantasy novel for young people.

I am truly honoured to be part of the Abbey- a place for artists to work with and support other artists, and am excited at this invitation to make writing my daily practice.

Yours in Curiosity,
Heather Marsh.

7 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Fantastic! We have you up and sprinting out of the blocks. Well done Heather!I know that the blogger will seem strange at first but once you get it working you will, like the rest of us, become addicted.

Now I happen to know that you, who is filled with curiosity and presides over a 'wonder chamber', are going to fit in here within minutes. You are going to love working with fellow residents of the Abbey. Take it from me! They are each very creative and each manage to keep my creative cauldron bubbling. I am often to be seen dropping a pinch of this and a pinch of that, taken from something they have said, into my pot. It is all a bit like how I used your stock list when I was experimenting with an idea.

As for not recalling my face Heather! I slipped in and looked around ever so quietly. You were serving a customer at the time. I recall acknowledging with a wave that I was going and you looked up but I doubt you really noticed me.

Amazing that now I should have you here, ready to set up another Wunderkammer in the Abbey. Very satisfying! My short visit has borne rich fruit.
love Heather
who only wears size eight shoes

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I got the most beautiful visual image from your name - Heather Marsh . . . a vast spread of rich, boggy ground covered with a purplish pink flower. Now, did I make that all up in my head? Heather doesn’t grow in boggy ground. Or does it? I went to the source of all wonderment: Google-Everlasting. Here I learned that, indeed!, there is an incredibly beautiful flower called Marsh or Bell Heather. It is a bright shade of purplish-pink with nodding bell like heads. It also goes by the evocative name Skye Flora. It grows in Northern Ireland, also, I found, in New England in the USA, which is where I have seen it. The Latin name is: Erica Tetralix. I decided right then and there that both Erica Tetralix and Skye Flora are going to turn up as characters in something I write soon.

I hope you don’t mind such a strange welcome, Heather Marsh. But I see from reading your first post the word “Curiosity” and I think perhaps you will understand. “Curiosity as a way of being,” I like that very much. It certainly is my way of being.

I can’t seem to get to your web site from the link. Could you check how it is written here and make sure it is correct? I would like to see Wunderkammer. I must admit that I am jealous. I’ve always wanted a friend named Igor.

Be welcome here. The Abby changes and moves and does pretty much what it feels like. Walls are sometimes not where they were before, passageways come and go. Outside, one is never quite sure where the Immanent Grove is going to be found next. As I the Alchemist in residence, I am interested in change. The women who inhabit this space are much like the Abby itself - changing and moving, learning and producing, contemplating and searching, meditating and questing, discovering and creating. I think you will be happy here.

COSTELLO

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

My mother's name is Heather and her father always called her Heather Bell
Welcome to you Heather Marsh. Your name conjured up images of the heather growing on the moors of North Devon where I spent many a happy childhood holiday

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Fran said...

Welcome Heather of the Marsh. We love this space that is made for us and know you will too.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Welcome, Heather Marsh, to the Abbey.

Your shop sounds intriguing. I'd pop right over except that I'd have an ocean to cross. I was born and raised in Wales but I live now in Arizona, USA. I'm a poet and a writer. We are a special breed are we not?

I'm hoping to see a lot of your writing here and on the other sites, too. There are so many places to visit under the banner of the Soul Food Cafe.

Vi

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

If you are wondering why your link now works there is no magic involved Heather. I who can edit posts on the blogger have fixed that broken link so that people can read your newsletter. I can quite understand you wanting to catch the next boat Vi. But for now I am hoping we will have a smaller outlet here in the Abbey.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Believer said...

Welcome Heather Marsh,

What an amazing site you have!

You'll feel right at home here in the Abbey where we all nurture each other's curiosity and creativity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home