Saturday, June 25, 2005

Alive In The House Of The Dead

I came to the Abbey to work on my writing.

I’ve made no friends, kept to the shadows and spent my time in the graveyard where it's quiet and I was able to work with no distractions. By nature I'm very easily distracted by just about everything so this place was a Godsend to me.

Then one day when I was out walking (well, goofing off) I discovered the old Medical School down the road.

I had heard rumors, when I first got to the Abbey that it was at full staff and had been turned into a school for the Performing Arts.

Dark Arts maybe, it's a strange place.

I explored the School's abandoned buildings and the cemetery behind it. And I spent a great deal of time in the Chapel there.

From what I understand it was called the Plague Church.

You can hear a sound in there you could mistake for the wind, but then if you listen you realize it's voices and they never, ever stop talking.

I can't even get half way up the road to the School anymore. I turn back and run, not jog or sprint but run straight back to the Abbey.

Then by accident I discovered the Catacombs below the Abbey and I keep going back there over and over again. In fact, now I can't stop myself.

Since I've started going down to the catacombs I'm having trouble with sunlight, everything seems too loud and bright. My skin crawls when people walk to close to me. I jump when doors whisper shut; the smell of food is making me ill. I'm having trouble keeping track of time and I'm having trouble recognizing people. It’s like my own skin is to tight for my body. Now I'm only seeing in black and white and I’ve also realized I can't hear out of my left ear.

I'm losing more and more of myself and I'm pretty sure I know where I'm losing myself to.

Yesterday when I went to use the library I was halfway into the room when I remembered I hadn't shut the door.

So I turned back went to shut it and my hand, my hand passed right through the handle.

I think I'm in trouble, I think I'm losing my mind...and I think I don't care.

What's happening to me?

7 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Come on up, Anita Marie and I’ll fix you an oxidized distillation of crystallized ceration. You may be having a problem with ceration yourself . . . being brought to a soft, wax-like, fluid or gaseous state? Perhaps it’s fermentation, the rarefaction of a dense body by the interspersion of air in its pores? Or possibly multiplication, a form of transmutation. It could possibly even be projection - you haven’t been messing with my Philosopher’s Stone have you? We could try dissolving you in mercury . . .

These things WILL happen if you wander around the catacombs, you know, there ARE wizards bones down there, though it’s best not to mention that too loudly. Possibly you need to spend some time copying script or meditating, chanting or, I don’t know, knitting. Now . . . you’ve already gone back to the cemetery haven’t you? And I’m standing here discussing Alchemy and knitting with the walls . . .

COSTELLO

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

These symptoms are most disturbing Anita Marie! Do we have a medicine woman in the house? Maya? Where are you? Costello's oxidized distillation of crystallized ceration sounds a bit drastic. Can you help?

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger maya said...

Anita Marie,
You felt that your hand passed through the door handle. Think. Your journey through the Catacombs is a "passing through" event as well. Please, make your way to the Grotto on the Abbey grounds, where I now reside. We will make a friendship. Friends willingly grab our arms, lifting and guiding, hastening depature from the depths when we linger there too long.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Maya darling. I have realised that I may have mislead you into thinking you must take action here. The terrible truth is that I doubt Anita Marie wants medicine that is curative. She is so far gone now - chuckle. It may well be best to leave her lurking around the graveyard. One thing is for certain. She is sure to pull out some stories that make us uneasy. But that, is good. It is never good for us to live with the illusion that Lemuria is Utopia. Lemuria, like the world, has its dark realm, its opposites.
The Abbess

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger maya said...

Maya darling. I have realised that I may have mislead you into thinking you must take action here.

Oh, what a relief! I need to get to know the community here at the Abbey a bit better. :)
As for me, somedays my medicine is powerful.....Other days,I need to call in healers for myself. Feather-Stone Woman

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Maya,

Don't worry, I shall be up to visit everyone very,very soon. I wouldn't put away the herbs and potions yet.

And as for you...naughty girl Heather. Didn't tell them who it was that pointed the Graveyards out to me OR gave me the keys to the catacombs, Did You?

Anita Marie

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Costello My Dear Costello, I've been very very busy down in the catacombs. Can't wait to share it with you soon.

Wizards Bones? Hmmm, they're not as interesting as the voices in the walls.

But I'll be sharing soon,
Your friend
Anita Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home