Tuesday, December 27, 2005

List of Fall

Dream Fall

Fall came to me in fluttering colored notes,
in spite of leaf blower's howl
and confused warm-cold breeze.

Fall came to me in sparse clutching barren twigs,
raw bone chilling sunbeams,
and instinct geese veeing south.

Fall came to me in the lawn's moonlit frosting,
mindless afternoon shadows,
and a determined stubborn leaf.

Fall came to me in piles of rakey leaves,
busses yellowing off to school,
and football Monday knights.

Fall came to me in long forgotten sweaters,
one mitten in the drawer,
and a clock that scrambled back.

Fall came to me in newly visible mistletoes,
a jack-o-lantern scare,
and a maze of looming corn.

Fall came to me in soups and ham-hocked beans,
tall mountains passing snow,
and bow hunters deer to me.

Fall came to me in hot turkey gravied peas,
ruby saucy cranberries,
and whipped up pumpkin pie.

Fall came to me in fairy dancing triple-lutz,
the mower packed away,
and a thick fur shaggy dog.

Fall came to me in the silence of the meadowlark,
the rain's soft guttering,
and Christmas babies finally born.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Blogger maya said...

Ahhhh! So wonderful! Your poem took me out of todays cold and back to the crisp, clear memories of my favorite season. I've hope to experience more Falls to come on our small planet.
Thank you faucon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home