Sunday, February 19, 2006

Want of Kindness


This is just a very short piece that came to me while reading some of the fabulous posts here this afternoon. I have been busy and had to make the time. Awhile ago, a friend of mine was going through a difficult period, and we were discussing the state of the world, immovable people, and knowing we couldn't change anything single-handedly, even if we had the answers. I said, "What is it you want the most?" and she said, "In these times, just basic kindness." Neither of us thought it existed anymore in the world. It was amazing because I realised this is what the Abbey and surrounds are like. It's got goodwill locked into the foundations...

copyright Monika Roleff 2006.

8 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

What is it I want most? I'd have to agree with your friend. When it comes down to it I'd have to say kindness too.

Such a simple word and a simple thing and it is indeed so hard to find.

Anita Marie

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Cheers, Anita Marie;-)

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

A simple act of kindness can change your whole day and your perspective - when we were in Chinatown, my son-in-law was manoevering the pram down a flight of steps while my daughter and I were marshalling the other grandchildren. Suddenly a well dressed yuppie girl rushed past us down the steps. Seemed like typical city person impatience - except that she suddenly turned round, gave us a dazzling smile and grabbed the other end of the pram.
A moment of kindness shines like a good deed in a naughty world and reminded us not to judge too quickly.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Trendle Ellwood said...

Thanks Ladies
Love
Tren

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Great post! It certainly makes you think. The Abbey is a wonderful place to contemplate such questions. I hope to visit oftern and learn much.

Susan Preston

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

The pic is an Ash tree, White Ash I think. Sorry I didn't label it. I am amazed people think the same the world over. Pretty cool stuff.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I have always felt that it is just a little kindness that we each need. A random act of kindness can make such a difference to our day.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I once read in the daily paper a letter from a woman thanking an anonymous person who handed her a train ticket with time left on it. It was a spontaneous act, but the woman said she didn't have any change and was in a really big hurry, and was just amazed that this gesture happened out of the blue, at the right time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home