Monday, June 26, 2006

Lemurian Remnant

Lately, I've been drawn to the sea. As much as I try to photograph other locations, I am drawn back to the ocean. My poetry and artwork have touched on the sea as well-- shells, pearls, pelicans--these sea-motifs have all emerged. Rising ocean waters have even permeated my dreams. A few nights ago, I dreamed that my home was filling up with water. Finally, the image of a sunken Lemuria has so kept pressing on my mind that I needed to recreate it for you above.

The myths of Atlantis and Lemuria and many other stories all speak of a cataclysmic flood in the past, but I believe there is a more personal application for me. I believe that part of my own personal mythology, my own collection of unconscious symbols and metaphors are expressing the transmutation of my creative self. Something is happening to me, something profound, some psychic cataclysm. If that is the case, I spread open my arms and embrace the sea.

Photomontage and text: L. Gloyd © June 26, 2006

4 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Lori, this is fabulous.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

The sea is in all of us Lorijayne, but some of us hold a distant memory in the deepest recess of our minds. We remember in some way when it was our home, and we are drawn to it because of that memory, though we may not even be aware--

Great picture.

Vi

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Viridiana said...

I heartily agree with Imogen and Vi - fantastic

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This is absolutely fabulous Lori. The dream you describe is a very important motif and sounds numinous. I am sure the flood is the flood of creativity that is swamping you as you try to decide what to do first. Opening your arms to embrace the sea is a very good move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home