Saturday, June 24, 2006

Inside the Shell

Inside the Shell

It’s dark in here. What am I doing walking around inside a giant sea shell? Well, for one thing, shells are spirals and I like spirals. For me, spirals are circular, so you can come back around and enjoy pleasant past experiences, or, if they’re not so pleasant, to resolve them. Spirals are also lines and lines move forward, so there is progress too. So spirals lead you forward to deal with issues of the past. I like this contradiction. Maybe I’ll use it in a story.

Eeewwwwww….. what is thaaaaaat? There’s something slimy und
er my feet. Then I remember I wasn’t in an ordinary sea shell—I was in a sea snail shell. Oh well, I heard recently that snail mucous is used in cosmetics to eliminate wrinkles. I guess I'll have smooth feet now from all this snail snot.

I am moving from chamber to chamber. My eyes adjust to the dim light and I start to see clearly.

Actually, it’s kind of pre
tty in here. Through the diffused light, I see that the walls are a pearly-grey and cream color. There are rises and indentations in the wall, scalloping and spiraling beautiful patterns along my pathway.

I can hear the sound of the sea even though I was not ne
ar the sea. The rushing sound ebbs and flows. I am caught up with it and forget my discomfort of a moment ago.

I lose track of time as I amble along. Finally, I come to
the end of the pathway to what I surmise is the center of the shell.

“Hello.” A soft voice echoes in the chamber.

“Hello? Who’s there?”

“Who do you think?”

“I don’t think you’re the snail that lives here.”

A sweet laughter ripples through the room.

“No, I am not a snail. You use humor, don’t you, to keep from answering deep questions.”

“Well, well, deep questions…… get it? Deep, well….. Oh, nevermind.”

“Who do you think I am?”

“Okay… you can’t be my Inner Critic because we booted her out a long time ago. So that leaves……that leaves my Muse?”

“Yes, you are correct.” A figure moves from the darkness at the end of the chamber. There is a flash and I see her, enveloped in a gold light, emerging from the patterns of the shell. For the first time since my journey b
egan, I meet my Muse.

And she is more beautiful than words can describe.




























Image and text:
Lori Gloyd © June 24, 2006

3 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

What an utterly stunning discovery Lori. I am in love with your muse. She is, dare I say, more beautiful than Aphrodite. Amazing!

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

This shell experience is really becoming something big.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Where a writer has to go for a story now days! Good for you, you're fearless Lori. I can't wait to see where this goes next

Anita Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home