Sunday, April 24, 2005

Flower lust

The peony is truly exotic to me. I have seen it in Chinese paintings ever since I can remember and I once thought they were fantasy flowers.

What is it about that perfect shade of pink and the way the petals curve inward like a shy child? There is something so breathtaking it moves me to tears thinking about attaining this darkly glamorous flower. Each variety has it own history and I have fallen deeply in love with this blossom. I can only call it flower lust because it makes me tremble with desire. I feel charged with a heat that I want this so much. I have no idea if this luscious one likes the climate here in Arizona.

I closely observe the subtly between the semi-double and the double petal peony. The single petal is darling and the bomb is like a childhood donut dessert with petals.

My eyes linger, memorizing the most alluring shapes. I can only imagine in a light breeze the petals must quiver and sigh. In a distant memory I once breathed in the lush breath of a vintage cultivar.

And now I feel the rush, the need, the hunt to find one to be my very own.

2 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is underneath the wide green leaves of my mother’s peonies that we build the Faery Ring at Midsummer. When the ring is finished and the children have filled it with tiny goblets of wine, miniature sweet cakes and their offerings of art; they choose peonies in all different shades of pink and pull their velvety leaves apart, scattering them all around the circle. “Because,” Lezlie told me at about four, “they will feel so scrumptions beneath the faeries bare toes.”

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

In Japan at New Year I saw an exhibition of peonies with little straw huts built around them to protect them from the snow.
I think they are fabulous flowers - bowl of beauty is one of the best - and I have several of the more traditional ones in my garden

 

Post a Comment

<< Home