Saturday, April 16, 2005

What Time Is It ?

Farm Market Opens Next Week

Whoa! No! How can this be?! Where did winter go? It used to be that I would get tired of winter, but winter blew by in a moment it seems. Is it true what they say, that time will go faster and faster until it falls in on its self and is no more? What does it mean for time to be no more? It would be so wonderful to not have appointments, deadlines and alarm clocks, which all seem to be products of our trying to capture time.

I look at nature and I see that nature knows no time except for the change of the seasons and the warmth of the sun and the deliverance of the rains. There is no one telling the Bluebell that she must bloom at this certain time, on this certain day within this certain hour. No, the Bluebell blooms when the sun warms her just right and the raindrops delight her with their moisture just right and she blooms when she is just perfectly ready for her blooming. Without anyone looking at a wristwatch to see if she did it on time or to let her know her allotted amount of time for doing it.

Bluebells give in to the natural flow. Without clocks wouldn’t we be more able to do this? But yet people say how would we ever pay our bills on time, be to church on time, get our teeth done on time or well you know all these things that are done in timely fashions.

Well as much as I can wish that I was a Bluebell I am still me. I have to get my list written of things that have to be done by next Saturday. I have to label the honey and cream the honey. I have to make signs and I have to get started on the farm market newsletter questioner and I have to run to the store to buy bags. I have to wash the market tables, bag up the candles and get change in the till. Where did winter go? Can anybody tell me?

The rhubarb is growing fast and the days are warm perhaps she will be big enough ON TIME to take to market. Gee I think I will just go outside and sit and look at the BlueBell Maybe she will be able to communicate to me how she gets away with not paying any attention to time.

3 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Time IS going faster, you know. The fact that our liner minds can’t compass it doesn’t change the fact. My son has a theory that as time goes faster and faster and falls in on itself, it will reach a precision point and then will rebound and begin to flow the other way. What do you think about that? Does that mean we would do what we are doing all over again? Think what we are thinking, relive our memories? He doesn’t know, he just says it makes more sense - physics wise - that the idea that time would cease to exist. I wonder where that would leave your blue bells?

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

John Keats would have enjoyed these thoughts Trendle

Human Season by John Keats

Four Seasons fill the measure of the year;
There are four seasons in the mind of man:
He has his lusty Spring, when fancy clear
Takes in all beauty with an easy span:
He has his Summer, when luxuriously
Spring's honied cud of youthful thought he loves
To ruminate, and by such dreaming high
Is nearest unto heaven: quiet coves
His soul has in its Autumn, when his wings
He furleth close; contented so to look
On mists in idleness--to let fair things
Pass by unheeded as a threshold brook.
He has his Winter too of pale misfeature,
Or else he would forego his mortal nature.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Trendle Ellwood said...

Loved that poem Heather.
And Winnie tell your son that his theory has me thinking! Where would his thoughts leave the Bluebells? I think that they would stay the same as they pay no mind to time.
Love Tren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home