Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Wrestling with the duende

I did not realize what I was committing to when I told Heather I would lock myself in my cell and not come out until I understood what I believed about angel, muse and duende. I had some strong ideas on what I believed about creativity and figured it would be just a quick essay of my ideas, but once I was thrown into definitions on duende everything changed. Thank goodness we have two terrific cooks in the kitchen who leave a big pot of soup simmering low or I would never have made it. The midnight hours found me unlocking the door and wandering the moonlit halls and ending up in the kitchen.
I still believe that creativity is an energy source that anyone can tap into. "Where attention goes, energy flows. I also believe that God, the first and greatest creator , is the source of this energy. Now I just had to fit angels, muses and duende into this equation. I felt pretty clear about how I view angels and my muse but once I started researching duende I realized that my simplistic approach would not work. No matter how I struggled with pen and paper, at my desk, Duende would not let me commit those views to paper. I was face to face with the definition, "Duende is a struggle not a concept" Also Lorca’s "dark sounds" were a constant nagging debate with my Pollyanna personality. When working on oil paintings I have experienced the emotion of deep connection when the brush, and color taking on a life of its own. The work suddenly becomes better then you know you are capable of doing. I always considered this a switching from the left logical brain to the right creative brain but now I can easily call this power duende. But that is only half of the definition. The dark creative force still needed to be understood. [To be continued]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home