Sunday, February 27, 2005

Danish Easter Letter

.
To day I send out my Easter Letters "gaekkebreve in Danish".
When it is Easter in Denmark, we make letters for each other called "gaekkebreve".

It’s a piece of paper with holes in. You send them to your friends, and they try to guess who you are.

You write your name like this: ……….

If your friend guess who you are you owe him an Easter egg. But if your friend can’t guess who you are your friend owe you a Easter egg.

In the “Gaekkebrev” there are verses and flowers called snowdrops.

A link to Danish Easter:
http://www.kaerbyskolen.dk/klasserne/evaskl/festival/
Easter/easter.htm


Marianne

3 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Hi Marianne,

That's a charming custom and a pretty card, too!

My Dad's custom for Easter was with colored Easter eggs. Everyone would choose an egg and then tap the pointed end of the egg against someone else's egg. The person whose egg did not crack won the cracked egg. My Dad was very good at this. He used to win most of the eggs! His grandparents came from Germany, and he had Holland/Dutch in his background. I don't know where the custom came from.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Marianne,

That IS an interesting card; reminds me of the art form of paper-cutting called, Scherensnitte. I hope I spelled that right. It is very intricate and dainty like your card looks. I had never heard of other countries customs for Easter. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Hi Marianne

I have a feeling that I would end up handing out many Easter Eggs if my friends sent me letters like this. I am hopeless at figuring out codes. Here in Australia we lack customs like this. This particular one sounds just delightful.

Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home