Monday, February 28, 2005

Pure Alchemy

When I joined the Abbey I was attracted by the notion of monastic retreat. Thomas Moore said that it is a mistake to think of the monastic life as a withdrawal from the active world for traditionally the monk is extremely active on a number of fronts.

This Abbey is clearly no exception. There is a palpable sense of industry here and just as the monks were actively committed to a communal style of living so are residents here. No wonder Heather is so addicted to this cyber world. It seems to me that she has surrounded herself with people who are producing words and images of extraordinary beauty. And, all these offers of help in the kitchen! I could turn my farm into a commune yet.

This morning when I was making some bread Dad wandered in. They were playing an old Vera Lynn track on the radio and we spontaneously waltzed around the kitchen table. He is not quite as nimble as he used to be when I was young and we went to the country balls. Dad always loved to dance and nothing gave him greater pleasure than to walk one of his daughters onto the dance floor.

But I am drifting between different realities. I am never quite sure when I am in the Abbey and when I am not. As I stood doing some dishes this morning I found myself thinking of Lemuria. The rich purples of my Asters caught my eye and I wondered if Asters are flowering in Lemuria right now. Is Lemuria in the Southern or Northern Hemisphere? Best not to strain my brain too much I think!

Instead I thought I would pop on my apron and plan some dinner. Now that Sharon is here we can expect some stunning Southern comfort dishes. Her Chicken with mash sounds just brilliant. While she throws all of that together I am going to make a Chocolate Saucing Pudding to die for. The Abbey's wood fired stoves are perfect for this sort of dessert. It is easy really. You cream the butter and sugar and add eggs, milk, chocolate and flour and pour the chocolate cake style mixture into a elongated dish. Then you sprinkle the mixture with sugar and more chocolate and pour a couple of cups of boiling water over the top. The dish sits in a tray of water in the oven and it takes about forty minutes to cook. When it comes out of the oven it has a cake consistency with a rich chocolate sauce underneath. Pure alchemy!

What do you think Sharon?

3 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Lani Gerity said...

Hovering around the kitchen, I'm hoping that I might be of some use as I enhale the heavenly smells.
MMmmmmmmMMmmmmmm
I've missed too many meals.
Lani

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Ahhhh! Chocolate!

I make a lemon pudding cake, aren't they heavenly? Mine gets egg whites to lift the top layer from the sauce. Oh, dear, this is all too much for me. There's not one "goodie" in the house and I shall be snowed in for several days!

Thank you for the virtual treat, and welcome to the abbey!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhhh Ebony! I see you're at it again, tantalizing our tastebuds with the sweets. I don't cook a chicken and mash and don't know what it is, but would love someone to explain it!

A recipe I've baked a few times is Hot Fudge Sundae Cake and it sounds like your pudding, in that hot water is poured over the top of a brown sugar, chocolaty batter and baked. We top it off with marischino (sp) cherries and vanilla ice cream for special occasions such as my son's birthday. (His favorite dessert).

I expect we'll have to walk the grounds a few more miles after eating such delicious creations from your kitchen! mmmmm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home