Saturday, April 16, 2005

More

I am enamored of the idea
Of honey
That essence that Ancient Egyptians worshiped
The sweet, significant tears of Ra
Amber made edible
Edible made beautiful
The sensuous, slow gilded dripping
That turns the bread of life from dry fact
To something tinged with dreams

I am enamored of
The creamy, sweet giving of wax
Cradling fire, drawing life back into wood
Smelling of secrets, of memories, of
Sweetness stolen from flowers

Stolen with bountiful, generous
Consent, a bright circle of giving and receiving
Pollen, bees, sunshine, water, earth
Fertile fields of singing color
Combs dripping with sustenance

I am enamored of the idea
Of honey
Because it is not necessary for life
Natures original, succulent sweet smile
That whispers:
“Have a little bit more.”


©Edwina Peterson Cross


4 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Luna said...

Lovely! Yes, that amber liquid is thought provoking.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I am enamored of the idea of this poem. It drips down my fingers like sweet honey oozing through bees wax like crumpets.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Trendle Ellwood said...

Now Winnie I had to print this one off and show to my honeybee keeper husband. I will let you know what he says.
Here is an exert from my upcoming book,
“Our produce is not just something in a jar nor merely a product to be sold. Our honey is golden elixir from God and The Bees to us. Our maple syrup is spring -time ambrosia. Our jams and jellies are our crown jewels, and our flowers are our dear friends."

I think we have the same ideas about honey.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

please could you send me some of this essence of honey bottled, for preference, in an ancient handmade and hand decorated glass vial
I salivate .....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home