Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Ladders, Pearls and Green


As a teenager I
became very conscious
there were some
anomalies about,
in the usual
swag of truths I learned
in preparation
for adulthoood.

Don't walk under ladders!
Wear Pearls and you're risking self-purity!
Don't wear green or something terrible will happen!

These were not from my
family root, but
scattered around in my
mixings with the world,
all the different voices
of experience.

All I learned from these
was that walking under ladders
was safe unless something
was about to fall on your head,
and nothing actually happened.

Pearls are beautiful and
are pure in their own right.
And green, the colour of my school uniform
was only "bad" because we got teased for
it, but kids tease each other for any
reason. If I had worn a purple uniform
I wonder......

So, ladders are for going up,
Pearls are for wisdom,
And green is for growing.

I have finally said my piece!
(And I'm not even going to start on the things I heard about cats...)

copyright Monika Roleff 2005.

6 Comments:

At 3:37 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Thank you for listening, Faucon..

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger maya said...

What sweet release from the power of conditioning!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Do tell, Monika, about cats for they are special beings.

Vi

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Vi, I have heard silly things about cats but all I can say is that they are the most beautiful creatures with great knowing, in agreement with you. I love the little baby in the pic...

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

So, ladders are for going up,
Pearls are for wisdom,
And green is for growing.

There are so many good things that have been taken from us. No wonder adults love Harry Potter. They are permitted to revel in the joy of magic rather than fear it.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

No wonder so many people feel dejected...I agree with your sentiments about story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home