Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Atelier

The Atelier

I cautiously pushed the door of the Atelier open. I stood on the threshhold for a moment and took in the room.

It was a large space. Faint music-- Sir Paul singing "Let It Be"-- filtered from some unseen source. One wall, from floor to ceiling, was comprised of paned windows overlooking the Abbey's rose garden, letting light flood the room.

In the middle of the space was a long wooden table, big enough to seat 12 diners if necessary, but now filled with all manner of natural artifacts-- sea shells, fossils, bird feathers, amber, gemstones in the rough. There was also a microscope with a box of slides-- bug parts, dried flowers and other unidentifiable specimens. There were stacks of blank paper, writing implements, paints, brushes, and--oh, yes-- a 64-color box of Crayolas.

Next to the windows was a telescope, aimed at the sky over the garden. There was a stack of star charts next to it.

On another wall were bookshelves. Something seemed familiar. I stepped towards them and started looking closely at the book spines. My books! My entire personal library was here in the Abbey!

I was beginning to understand how far my journey had taken me-- right back to where I started.

Then, something caught my eye. I turned around and saw a soft blue glow coming from the corner. Could it be? It was!

"Edna! I've missed you!" In the corner was my trusty PC. I ran over to Edna, picked up a stylus and tapped the plastic drawing pad next to her. Her Desktop popped up and I scanned the icons. Is it here? Yes! Photoshop!

I sighed with contentment. All I needed now was a Venti cup of steaming Sumatra and I'd be ready to Rock.

L.Gloyd (c) June 21, 2006

2 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

And dang it was good too!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

First in first served and all that darlings... so pleased to see you making yourself comfortable Lori.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home