Monday, February 28, 2005

Not withdrawing from the world very well

Hello Everyone. This seems to be quite a lively place. It took me some time to read the new entries. I hope you will excuse my being slow to get started. I went back to the B&B where I was staying before coming to the Abby and brought the rest of my things. I’m a little embarrassed in my little cell, I guess we are supposed to be withdrawing from the world and doing with less. Once I had moved my things in, there was hardly room to turn around. I have a lot of camera equipment. I am interested in photography, especially of old buildings and ruins. It is one of the reasons that I came to the Abby. I hope to be taking photographs of the Abby buildings and some of the ruins of the Old Abby, perhaps the cemetery or crypt if there is one. As far as art is concerned, I do collage, sometimes using my photographs but I move very slowly and I am not very prolific. Sometimes I only do one or two a year, but they are usually quite complicated.

I tried to think where I might be useful, but haven’t thought of anything yet. I don’t cook, even for myself and though I like plants, I don’t know anything about them. Perhaps if you like music I could play for you some time. This is what is filling up the rest of my room. I have brought my instruments. I have two Celtic harps, one a small lap variety and the other larger as well as a two flutes, one traditional and the other wooden. For the most part I seem to be attracted to huge musical instruments, however, and I have also have brought my big French pedal harp and my cello as well as my Bodhran’s (Irish drums.) You can see why my small cell is quite crowded. I will assure you that I checked the cell doors carefully and they are sound proof. You will not be bothered by my playing, the doors are very thick and solid, when the cell door is shut you cannot hear through it and I will be conscientious about keeping it shut.

Thank you to Ana das Neves and Believer who came to speak to me when I was here briefly before and hello to you all.
From: Louise Anna Holmes

5 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Celtic Harp and Flute based music will be most welcome in the Abbey. Don't worry about muffling the sound. I am sure no-one will complain. When I wandered in to sit and read quietly I heard the music drifting from you cell and smiled and thought 'Louise has arrived. I am really looking forward to seeing some of your photographs of the Abbey.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Hello Louise,

The Abbey is quite a magical place. The meals are delicious, but virtual and will not add a pound no matter what you eat, our cells are built to house what we have brought and what we need to do our work. For instance my cell is tiny (I brought only my cat, my parrot, my drawing and writing things.) I need good lighting, and to my amazement, one small, high window supplies it all. Not only that, the window grows almost daily if I work on my projects. Your cell may be initially surprised at all it contains but it will soon expand to accept you and your instruments quite nicely. The only sounds we hear are those we care to hear, so I'm sure I'll be aware of your music, while you will not be bothered by my parrot squawking. So, relax, spread out, and make your music and your photographs. The Abbey will welcome you with open arms.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can you post a comment on a comment? Believer! What a fantastic concept. The cells are growing! I'm sure Louise will find it easier to get around her instruments and stuff in a few days. She may even find that the walls have grown music stands or something. I am delighted to hear about your window, Believer. I knew that the Abby moved about, but wasn't sure any one had noticed anything quite as concrete as your window. Anyway, Welcome Louise! I look forward to hearing you play. The Celtic Harp is my favorite instrument. ~ COSTELLO

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Okanagan Valley Garden said...

I can't think of anything I would enjoy more than the sound of music filling the halls of the abbey and drifting out into the gardens.

Bobbi

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wouldn't an evening outdoor concert be just grand? Louise, please play your harp for us at dusk. That would be the perfect end to a busy day here in the Abbey. Perhaps I'll sing along! I am married to a multi-talented musician and many of our evenings are shared this way. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home